Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stir until the ingredients combine into....

...a blog post!  Yes, yes, I know.  My New February resolution is to catch up and be more regular with posting. It begins with me offloading pics from my camera finally!

Our 50s house often reminds me of the house my grampa built in the 50s... and my gramma's kitchen!  Especially around the holidays, I am struck by the urge to stop and make some family recipes (read as: cookies!).  The same way gramma did... the hard way... I have many of gramma's cooking tools and when it comes to making the lebkuchen (a German spiced cookie), only one thing will do... the meat grinder.

Yep, that's right folks... to make the best Xmas cookeies ever, you need a meat grinder.  So I dig out gramma's meat grinder to grind the almonds and citron.  In the box gramma stored the grinder in is a hand written note about which piece was needed to attach it to the counter correctly... I know most of gramma's notes were just reminders to herself, but they're happy surprises that make me smile when I find one... and they're everywhere... so I know there'll be more to find.

Did the cookies turn out like gramma's?  Not quite. There's two recipes that made it to me, so maybe I picked the wrong one... or maybe it's gramma's adjustments that never did get written down... but I do know I got one thing right- the minute hint of metal and elbow grease.

No comments:

Post a Comment