Thursday, September 16, 2010

Everything is Illuminated....


The subtle curves, the hard edges, cool metals, soft fabric, luminous glass... and then, you add light... and the fixture.. and the room are transformed.

Usually estate sales are to clear out everything not tied down... but sometimes you just have to ask... and bring a screwdriver ;)  I haven't been so lucky as to get someone to let me whip out the screwdriver just yet, but I know someday they will... and I'll be ready... in the meantime, I've captured some treasure at the latest house in photo form.  And they're inspiring.

This house was built in ~1955 and was, like our ~1951 house, actually lovingly maintained... ie barely touched.  All... and I do mean all... of the light fixtures were original to the house.  These guys were the cream of the crop.  Double stacked circline fluorescent in the kitchen... like a chrome and fluorescent layer cake!

The two bowl lights: the pink was in one bedroom upstairs, the dove blue in the opposite bedroom I loved how they had designs on both sides of the glass to give even more depth.  And I just love the shape of the pink one.  I get  home and find the IKEA catalog waiting for me and what do I see?  I know that lamp!  Now we all can have one...


What we did come home with will be the subject of many future posts to be sure... also original to the house, but underappreciated, as I fear these light fixtures will be... I just hope the future owners will be kind enough to rehome them so they can live out another happy 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment