Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Seek and ye shall find....

This whole pile for $10!  and a surprise on top :)
I know I can find it cheaper... I can find a better, cooler, funkier one than that... I can rescue something and give it new life... I can find a truly unique treasure...

...if I just keep looking.

Not to say we shouldn't appreciate what we have, make due, reduce, reuse, recycle, etc... but the thrill of the hunt is great.  Especially when you add a dash of creativity to the mix.  As long as I can remember, we always went out garage-saleing, auctioning, and/or antiquing most weekends.  You never knew what diamond in the rough would be waiting for you.  Perhaps a new-to-you toy.  A $500 antique in the $5 box lot.  Some vintage fabric.  A cool old book.  Treasure.  Cheap treasure :)

Maybe (okay, yeah, definitely) it's a bit OCD, but it's also a thrifty way to get stuff you need and be entertained along the way.  Stepping back in time at an estate sale into a turquoise tiled kitchen full of chrome... Listening to the call of a good auctioneer who can roll on, keep the bidding going and joke at the same time.... A living room with a wall (and I do mean a full wall) of martini glasses straight out of Mad Men... Finding dodads and gadgets to do things you never thought you needed a specific tool for... it's fun. 

So yes, ultimately this blog is about creating, but sometimes you need raw materials to work with.  And the sourcing doesn't have to always be work. So next time you need something or need some laughs, try out an estate sale, go to the thrift store... generally think outside the (big)box.  And I'll be sharing some of the stuff we see and find... some of which will just have to come home with us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment